Friday, June 15, 2012

A Fearful Tale

"We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face..." ~Eleanor Roosevelt



Fear...timidity....apprehension...anxiety...unease...trepidation...

I metaphorically walked by a mirror this week and caught sight of myself and realized something kind of scary. I have been living consumed by fear lately! I normally don't consider myself to be a fearful person minus the ever present arachnophobia and ophidiophobia (fear of snakes), but as I reflected on my actions and feelings not only here in Denver but in the past couple of years I realized how fear-driven I've been. I've been afraid of failing or disappointing people. I've been afraid of being along or unaccepted by people. I've been afraid of letting change happen and afraid that it won't. As I thought about it, I realized how many things I haven't done because of fear, how many chances I didn't take. It's the first time I've ever looked back and actually had regrets about something. Mostly I realized that by letting fear drive me, I'm not living into the person God has created me to be. I am one of His chosen people and have the authority of His power and grace. There are a myriad of verses that address fear, but I found the most comfort and challenge in Romans 8:15 where it says, "So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.”  I have been in the company of some very bold people, and I so admire the way their assurance is not found in the situation but in a God who is over every situation. My prayer this week is that God will give me boldness and that I will live in courage and strength instead of timidity and fear. 

That's all for now dear ones! God's Peace to you all!
~Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment